Home for old sailors.
This palatial white building, was up to the year 2000 a national home for former sailors complete with a zeemanscafé that still exists. But the time that the 'Stichting Males' sat in their black uniforms on a bench, is long gone. They were men from across the country who had sailed the seas, of baksmaat to captain and so they kept themselves sometimes behave here.
Now also landlubbers anchor here. The Prince Henry Foundation, named since 1874 his patron Prince Henry. He was the brother of King William III, nicknamed "Henry the Navigator".
Even the royal family paid many years and also seafarers. As punishment they deserved aboard, they had to put money in the pot for the Prince Henry Foundation. In 1937 there was new construction and which has recently expanded in style. It is now called Prince Henry Care Centre in the village but it will always remain 'Foundation'. A welcoming building where you still taste the atmosphere of the seven seas. At the reception is a book for sale on the history.
Museum Prince Henry the Navigator.
Since March 2015 in the Prince Henry Foundation. also furnished a Library. This is a service which means there is a small establishment with a small collection.
Address and Opening Hours
Museum Prince Henry the Navigator
Care center for Prince Henry Street 144 Egmond aan Zee
Open daily from 10.00 to 17.00 hour.
The entry is free, After logging in to the reception.
For appointment at other times for groups who might want to use something, call reception,
072 506 1224. It is also possible to have a short
tour to agree.
On the east side of Prince Henry Foundation, on the corner of Peter Scot Manstraat is a building with a special form. It is the former station. From 1905 to 1934 Egmond was connected to the national rail network. The 'tram' as it was called, Egmonders brought to work in Alkmaar and thousands of tourists and children colony here. Now there is a bus stop nearby.
First Egmond Serbian lunchroom
Opposite the Prince Henry Foundation is a cafe in a maritime atmosphere. In the beginning of the last century, when arrived here many travelers, this was the "First Serbian Egmond lunchroom". A little more to the east, opposite the railway station yet the former track homes of employees of the track. A bit further is the fishing monument. If you're in Church Street, be sure to go to the beautiful R.K. Church. Modest in size because in this village are the oudkatholieken in the majority.
The fishing monument 1922 stands on a dune at the entrance of Egmond aan Zee. Two dune stairs leading up to it.
On the monument we see the names 95 fishermen, three women in mourning, the image of a logger and a trawler and a text:
"Heavily infested Egmond - to his sons - in peaceable labor remained at sea as a result of the war of 1914".
You can also see which names the original Derpers prevent much like Fisherman, Wijkermeer, Tube, Block, Black, Green, Glass, Crab, Conijn, Rabbit, de Groot, Caught, Dune, Plaice, Schong, Scoutmaster, Stam, Covers, de Jong, As they. The youngest victim was thirteen C. Smit.
A horrible disaster has been so for the small village of Egmond aan Zee and after the First World War. Fishermen must then set sail for their livelihood, but everywhere float loose mines and that many Crews fatal. Those at home sometimes sit for months in uncertainty. Whenever the priest goes through the village, there is a shudder through the streets.
Who will this time get the death news? There is an adage: "The fish is paid dearly '. Fishermen are commemorated on the eve of the annual fishing day in June, which remained at sea. The actual number of victims is higher than 95. Some are not listed on the monument for some reason and others lived in IJmuiden, but still had family here.