SAY CHEESE, SAY ALKMAAR !
Throughout the world Alkmaar is known as cheesetown. The Alkmaar has a tradition since 1593 and is still being held. Every year about one hundred thousand people visit this colorful event ! The Cheese Market is free, for all ages and is easily accessible for people with disabilities.
Opening of the market
Stroke of the clock 10.00 o'clock the bell is rung. This is the sign that the cheese begins. The ringing of the bell is often done by people who are guests on the market, For example, at the invitation of the municipality of Alkmaar. It can be a celebrity from the sport- or TV world or a foreign ambassador.
In 1365 The city owns one cheese scales, in 1612 there are already four. The launch date of the cheese carrier guild is 17 June 1593. The market is always held on the Waagplein. This square has been enlarged several times; increases in two centuries, it was no less than eight times to the present surface. This shows the great importance of the cheese trade for the city. In de 17 century cheese was traded on Fridays and Saturdays from May to All Saints. In the 18th century, even four days a week.
Bus: From coastal town of Egmond aan Zee, Buses Connexxion to Alkmaar. (Bus 165)
Syllabus (without prejudice):
- 09.50 in: tourists are welcomed
- 09.55 in: the belluider introduced 10.00 in: the bell is rung and the market is open
- 10.05 – 10.50 in:verbal explanations for visitors in Dutch, German, English and French
- 10.50 – 11.15 in:The carillon is played
- 11.20 – 12.05 in: verbal explanations for visitors in Dutch, German, English and French
- 12.15 – 12.45 in: The carillon is played
- 12.30 in. end Waagplein cheese market, Alkmaar
When and Where
The Alkmaar cheese market takes place in 2010 instead of 2 April to 3 september, every Friday 10 to 12.30 pm on the Waagplein.
Thousands of visitors from all over the world come to Alkmaar cheese market. It is therefore a special spectacle with a square full of cheese and hauling cheese carriers. Since 1593 The cheese market is held on the Waagplein in Alkmaar.
A part of the market is reserved for groups. Under the guidance of our guides you can market as of very close experience. In addition to the cheese itself, Also take a look at the main unit and the cheese carrier chamber.
Visiting you can also combine the cheese with a tour of the Dutch Cheese Museum and / or a city tour.
- Tour Cheese (1/2 hour) *
Also possible are combinations:
- Cheese Market & Co Museum *
- Cheese Market & City Walk *
- Cheese Market & Co Museum & City Walking *
- Visit Kaasmuseum expand with cheese tasting *
Reservations: 072-5114284. Prices on request.
* my. 10 press. per group