Rebuilt the Pinck

In addition to the boathouse of the KNRM, just South of the main beach entrance, located under a roof half open construction- and storage place of the Pinck. This is a (fishermen)vessel with a flat bottom as the centuries in Egmond used to go there directly from the beach into the sea. It is a reconstruction from the period around 1670 and the precursor to the later fishing boat. Years went architect Jan Sander and his volunteers about to from the wood of a stack of logs to produce this authentic sailing ship. It does not always led them the wind. They were therefore increasingly admired the boat builders when, who had to do everything with simple tools.

Reconstruction Egmondermeer Pinck

The measures were indicated in a handbook by Nicolaes Witsen in Amsterdam feet and inches. (1 A'dam foot 11 A'dam thumbs = 28,31 cm.) Converted the pinck was 35 foot on the hull at 12 foot inside the skin, 9.91 feet long by 3.40 meter breed. In the last measure the thickness of the strakes must still be tallied. The pinck was built according to these measures;, rigged with two masts and air ra-sailing. A piece of history has come back to life.

In spring 2007 the Pinck was baptized by a woman and was named 'Claes Teunisz'. It was consecrated by the abbot of the abbey. In good weather it is water left for a cruise. Under the mast is an old 'lucky dime'.

Visit the site

All Wednesdays & Saturdays from 8.00 to 15.30 hours you will find here the men who have done the job or are doing maintenance. And there is usually someone to show you around. They also have a dinghy and boat Miffy lying at the beach exit. The visit is free, but appreciate a small contribution they, because Pinck still costs more than in the 17th century. You can also buy a book there about fishing and the Pinck and one about the Egmonds dialect.

A guided tour costs € 1,- p.p. with a minimum of € 25,-. Belt u Jan Sander, 072 506 4498, Ed Green 06 53412759. See also

Open House

From late June to early September is the open house every Friday night 19.00 to 21.30 hour as with the neighbors of the lifeboat. There is also a lot to experience around the Pinck on special days and the lifeboat day.

History of pinck

(thanks to Jan Sander)
logo_pinckThe coast from the Hook of Holland to Den Helder was 'Silk' named. Because there were no ports, feed it with vaartuigjes who had a flat bottom. So they developed in Egmond aan Zee a ship that around 1400 a pinck was called. A flat-bottomed vaartuigje of around and close to the 5,50 to 6 meter long and about 2,5 meter breed. The ship with front and rear plechtje, was clinker-built with a completely flat bottom, so it could be transported on reels from the boat shed at the beach. Arriving, it was further equipped with nets, fishing lines and what more was needed for fishing. Then the pinck was brought to the low water mark. With a small rowing boat anchor was released and with the emergence of the Flood came pinck raft. As was done fishing trip after trip, always taking into account the tide.

In bad weather this pinckjes at the dune foot could be pulled up or if necessary even back into the village. The first pinckjes were smaller than the replica ship.

De Pinck suffered a lot

The Pinck was built fairly round and clinkered with a heavy surface and during landing resistant to impact on the sandbanks and the beach. This land was actually a controlled form of beaches, even in bad weather and made high demands on the construction. By construction, the pinck here was good against file. Despite the pincken went to a beach-operation on average only a year or 8 with. Then they made a new hull. Mast, Swords, helm, rigging and further inventory went over to the new boat.

Other fishing villages

Many other coastal towns names on the type of ship, of which the best known are Scheveningen and Katwijk. Other places were Ter Heide, Noordwijk, Zandvoort, Wijk aan Zee, Bergen and Schoorl, Caps, Callantsoog and Huisduinen. On 1530 Bergen and Schoorl was not mentioned, apparently was there last fishing.

Vissen van Sint Maarten tot Pinksteren

The fishermen were adopted from St Maarten to Pentecost as the peak season for the fishermen in the winter months from November to May. From November to January were fishing with angle as haddock and cod, thereafter until May with standing rigging or blessing for plaice and other flatfish species and angle for haddock and whiting. The summer was a slack time. With the larger pincken they enter it at the time of the merchant. In July 1440 there was a laden with wool Egmondermeer Pinck in the port of Happisburgh, 20 miles north of Great Yarmouth.See also

The success of the Pinck

Around the year 1514 there were an estimated 180 fishing vessels operating in "Silk" which ca. 105 pincken. According to tax records from that time Egmond then had more than a quarter of this total. Such As. 26 pincken en as. 20 other vaartuigjes (bibs or boats). Catches, consisting of a circular- in platvis, were dried and salted for preservation, and often sold on the market in Antwerp, where many foreign traders dried plaice of the 'recog-' villages decreased.

Share fisherman

Of Slabbert and dishes are not known dimensions, but they were small boats, owned by the skipper with two or three man crew. Even then there was scaling, but much skipper owners could no larger vessel (a pinck) afford.

So they were forced to give up fishing or partners to sail on a pinck as part called fisherman. The part fisherman took his own gear on board and got his share of the value of landings. Bringing their own gear is worn over the years. However, until the end of the Egmond bracket catch the fishing boats, in the nineties of the 19th century, it was still customary here that the fishermen some containers with corner for himself took.

Sailing 'in part' (for a part of the landing value) remained in use until today.