In the year 977 the village of Egmond aan Zee would have arisen behind the dunes. The story wants that one Walgerus, a gentleman farmer from Egmond-Binnen would have built ten houses for a number of poor families. These were allowed to live there for free and had the right to fish in the sea on the condition that they would donate ten percent of their fishing catch to the abbey in Egmond-Binnen.. He is also said to have founded the church that is now the current Old Catholic St. Agnes church is. He would have built the church in honor of Saint Agnes.
Egmond aan Zee then developed into a real fishing village. About the year 1400 there was the so-called Pinck, a flat-bottomed vessel of approximately 5,5 at 2,5 meter. The boat was built lapel with a completely flat bottom, so that it could be transported on rolls from the barge shed to the beach.
Disappeared by erosion of the coast during the All Saints Flood on 1 november 1570 fifty houses of Egmond aan Zee in the sea. At the Christmas storm in November 1741 become 36 houses and the church with tower swallowed by the sea.
Egmond aan Zee was up to 1 July 1978 an independent municipality and on that date was merged with the municipality of Egmond-Binnen to form Egmond. Since 1 January 2001 the municipality of Egmond has merged with the municipalities of Schoorl and Bergen to form the municipality of Bergen.
The lighthouse J.C.J. van Speijk is a lighthouse on the North Sea coast near Egmond aan Zee. By J.C.J. van Speijktoren is one of the oldest, still active lighthouses of the Netherlands. The foot of the lighthouse forms an impressive tomb that recalls Lieutenant Commander Jan van Speijk.
The sea at Egmond could, and still can, be very insidious. Therefore, in between 1833 in 1834 built two lighthouses designed by Jan Valk. After the construction of the North Sea Canal in 1876 and the construction of the two lighthouses in IJmuiden, were the towers in Egmond, to prevent confusion, equipped with red diamonds, so that the light emitted could be distinguished in color from that of IJmuiden. In 1891 became the lighthouse J.C.J. van Speijk equipped with a turning light. The Zuidertoren on the Torensduin was extinguished in the same year and 1915 demolished.
In 1922 the lighthouse was renovated because the tower received electric light. The balustrade was then cast in concrete. The design for this renovation was by Otto Jelsma. In 1967 the guardroom was built. The north side of the light is red in color to warn of dangerous shallows north of Egmond. As soon as ships come out of this danger zone, the light turns white again.